Skip to main content

I Knew It All Along... Didn't I?- LIBE 477B Reflection on Past Teacher-Librarian Topics

A partner was cheating. A comeback to win the last period in a hockey game. Trump shockingly wins the presidency. Each situation may be unique, but we have often heard ourselves say, "I knew it all along." The tendency to feel like we knew it all along, though we actually didn't, is what psychologists refer to as hindsight bias.
http://neologisms.blogs.wm.edu/2016/04/18/hindsight-bias/
As an educator, I've experienced hindsight bias in believing that I was always aware of important issues in education.  "Of course, I've alway know it's important to incorporate more technology and help students develop necessary digital skills." "Obviously, blogging encourages deeper reflection and allows for an authentic audience for writing." "Naturally, I know how to design effective and engaging professional development opportunities." I could say that I was aware of these issues all along as they seem so obvious now, but they weren't necessarily on my conscious radar until I was asked to reflect on them through course assignments.

The topics discussed, research conducted, and the blogposts written (and read) have helped me realize that there are so many aspects of my teaching practice that could have been improved through reflection.  While I've certainly been aware that it is important to try to find ways to incorporate technology and develop students' digital literacy skills, it wasn't until reading my co-learners thoughtful discussion board comments expressing concern about the effects of too much screen time and the importance of hands-on learning that I realized I needed to think a little more about teaching both digital skills as well as those of self-reflection so that students could self-assess the impact the use of technology may have on them.  While it is important to for students to become proficient with digital tools and skills, it is equally important that they know when it's time to unplug and take a break from the sometimes overwhelming nature of online life.  

The process of reflecting and responding on my own blog has also made me think about my blindspots around blogging.  While I have long been an avid reader of blogs (I think I've mentioned the education blogs of Cult of Pedagogy, Catlin Tucker and Dana Huff just a few times?) and found them to be extremely informative and transformative for my own teaching practice, I never really considered writing my own blog and how it might impact my own learning and pedagogy.  Creating this blog and writing posts for course topics has re-affirmed the connection between writing and deeper reflection.  It has also opened my eyes to the importance of an authentic audience for writing, and, as a result, I am planning to use blogging with students once I return to the English classroom.  And now that I have a tool for reading multiple blogs in one place (thank you for introducing me to Feedly!), I feel more comfortable with the idea of student blogs as a learning tool or as a portfolio.  



As teachers, we all engage in professional development (of various quality) and think we all know what would make a great professional development session.  However, reflecting on engaging and useful professional development made me realize that there are so many others ways of providing professional development opportunities that don't always involve a day devoted to a keynote speaker and then breaking into smaller sessions.  Professional development is evolving and has the opportunity to become more personalized and useful.  I recently took part in an iWitness Webinar on teaching the Holocaust hosted by the Shoah Foundation, and it allowed me to engage in professional development on my computer in the comfort of my own home at a time that was convenient to me.  As an educator and future librarian, I think sharing Webinar and online professional development opportunities is going to become an essential tool in our ProD toolbox.


Works Cited

Education Programs. USC Shoa Foundation. Website,  https://sfi.usc.edu/teach_and_learn

Gonzalez, Jennifer. Cult of Pedagogy. Blog. https://www.cultofpedagogy.com

Huff, Dana.  HuffEnglish. Blog. http://www.huffenglish.com

Tucker, Catlin. CatlinTucker. Blog. https://catlintucker.com

Yoder, Lance. "Blogger for Students- Student Blog Creation." Youtube, 2 March 2019,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilNpYThQK0s.  


Comments

  1. Oh my, I am so very guilty of the hindsight bias when it comes to teaching practices. Everything seems so obvious once it's spelled out for you.

    I find blogging so intimidating because it is so public. It makes me think a little about Brene Brown's amazing TED talk (watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCvmsMzlF7o) on being vulnerable, which is something I strive towards. It's just so hard to be vulnerable when, as teachers, we seem to constantly get the message that we are supposed to be super-human, without the flaws of those lower regular humans. It's a difficult facade to keep up.

    And thank you for the incredible blog suggestions. I, too, will be using my Feedly in the future. I am so glad that such a tool exists to make my life easier!

    I will stop rambling now.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charity SakakibaraMarch 7, 2019 at 7:29 AM

      Hi Sonya,
      Thanks for the suggested Tedtalk on being vulnerable- I'll be sure to check that out, as it's something that I also have difficulty with as a teacher! For me, it's hard to admit that I'm not an expert and that there I things I don't know- I've started to say, "That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. I'll look into it and maybe if you beat me to it, you could let me know what you find out." And admitting I don't know hasn't been the end of the world!

      Delete
  2. I am so guilty of hindsight bias! I didn't know it had a name though, that was interesting to learn. I've never been really good at reflecting but assignments that force me to do it make me realize its importance. I still struggle to set aside time to do it. I have in the past got my students to reflect on their work (often with moans and groans to go along with it). Some find the value and some don't. It's important to reflect when it comes to learning and work but I am trying to incorporate it in my daily life as well. I will admit I am finding it difficult but I am taking little steps of growth each time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an engaging post that outlines and reflects upon your learning thus far. I appreciate your comments on the importance of reflection as well as your comments on the importance of authentic writing for authentic audiences. I am glad that you can take your learning from this course and apply it to your teaching. You also share some good insight here about professional development. I agree that a one-size-fits-all model does not work when it comes to learning; whether that be for our students or for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The final frontier: Engaging and useful professional development - LIBE477 Reflection on meeting the ICT needs of teachers

To boldly go where no educator has gone before. Image from Know Your Meme Teacher-librarians have always been the vanguard of teaching Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills, helping colleagues to integrate new technologies into classrooms and guiding our students toward becoming digitally literate citizens.  The wonderful teacher-librarians I've worked with (shout out to Joanne and Katherine!) were always so generous with their time and effort to help those of us lacking a technological skillset.  Because I lacked confidence with my technological prowess, when I became interested in using infographics as a way to demonstrate students' knowledge rather than the traditional research paper or poster presentation, they helped me to create lessons on the skills needed to create infographics, including researching, citing, summarizing and using infographic websites that allows one to design an original infographic. Working with my school's teacher-librari

Blog love- LIBE 477B Reflection on supporting my professional learning

The assignments and discussions in this course have already been an invaluable resource for me; I've gained some valuable technology skills that I can use in my classroom/library, and I've gained some valuable insight reading the discussion posts and blog posts of my co-learners in this class. Fellow educators in this class have made important points in blogposts and discussion board comments that I didn't previously consider regarding technology and digital literacy, including concerns about student privacy and the dangers of being "too connected."   Image from https://ncccelearning.com/learning-modules/using-blogs-to-support-your-instruction/ Thanks to the tutorial on using Feedly , I'll be able to continue to follow education blogs of interest.  When I first began reading education blogs, I used Google Reader; when that service was discontinued I began to use Flipboard to keep up with favourite news sites and blogs. While l really like Flipboar