Skip to main content

Blog love- LIBE 477B Reflection on supporting my professional learning

The assignments and discussions in this course have already been an invaluable resource for me; I've gained some valuable technology skills that I can use in my classroom/library, and I've gained some valuable insight reading the discussion posts and blog posts of my co-learners in this class. Fellow educators in this class have made important points in blogposts and discussion board comments that I didn't previously consider regarding technology and digital literacy, including concerns about student privacy and the dangers of being "too connected."  

Image from https://ncccelearning.com/learning-modules/using-blogs-to-support-your-instruction/



Thanks to the tutorial on using Feedly, I'll be able to continue to follow education blogs of interest.  When I first began reading education blogs, I used Google Reader; when that service was discontinued I began to use Flipboard to keep up with favourite news sites and blogs. While l really like Flipboard for reading news articles, Feedly seems like a great new option for keeping up with numerous blogs. I think I'll continue to use Feedly to continue reading my co-learners' blogs posts, as well as with blogging educators I already follow.  I feel most inspired to change and improve my practice after I've read a thoughtful article or blogpost by another teacher, such as Catlin Tucker, or Dana Huff, or Jennifer Gonzalez at Cult of Pedagogy.  These teachers (and so many others in the blogosphere) offer practical and insightful information that has made me a better teacher.

The use of blog responses and Feedly in this course has also made me realize I could use these with students in the classroom immediately.  I've always thought of having students write blogs as a way of "publishing" their work for a wider audience, but I never did because I couldn't figure out how to easily read their posts in one place. Feedly is just the tool for that, and certainly one I'll continue to use in the English classroom.

I've always been an educator who continually seeks to improve my own teaching practice, and digital technologies like blogging have only made it easier to seek out educators who are looking to do the same. 

Comments

  1. This is a good exploration of how blogging can be used for personal learning both by teachers and students. I am glad that you see Feedly as a strong tool for your professional practice going forward. I have found it invaluable, both for this course but also, as you mentioned, for keeping on top of the posts of influential educational bloggers. Thanks for linking a few of the blogs you follow. Those are good takeaways for your reader. A bit of a discussion involving other tips and strategies for professional growth could expand your discussion here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently discovered the Cult of Pedagogy blog! And I am using it as inspiration for my next blog post. I have never really been into blogging but this course has opened my eyes to it. I agree that finding a way to manage all the blogs seemed difficult and that feedly is an excellent way to manage that. Thanks for sharing the blogs you follow, I am definitely keeping note of blogs people recommend! Blogs seem like an excellent tool to use for students as well. I would hope to use it with my future students but like that I am getting the experience now with blogging so I can better help them.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I just love Jennifer Gonzalez and Cult of Pedagogy! I could spend hours reading her blog... It's so well written, and I never fail to find something that makes me re-evaluate my own teaching practice. I hope to hear about some new blogs to follow from my co-learners- feel free to reply with the blogs you're currently following!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Knew It All Along... Didn't I?- LIBE 477B Reflection on Past Teacher-Librarian Topics

A partner was cheating. A comeback to win the last period in a hockey game. Trump shockingly wins the presidency. Each situation may be unique, but we have often heard ourselves say, "I knew it all along." The tendency to feel like we knew it all along, though we actually didn't, is what psychologists refer to as hindsight bias. http://neologisms.blogs.wm.edu/2016/04/18/hindsight-bias/ As an educator, I've experienced hindsight bias in believing that I was always aware of important issues in education.  "Of course, I've alway know it's important to incorporate more technology and help students develop necessary digital skills." "Obviously, blogging encourages deeper reflection and allows for an authentic audience for writing." "Naturally, I know how to design effective and engaging professional development opportunities." I could say that I was aware of these issues all along as they seem so obvious now, but they weren't

The final frontier: Engaging and useful professional development - LIBE477 Reflection on meeting the ICT needs of teachers

To boldly go where no educator has gone before. Image from Know Your Meme Teacher-librarians have always been the vanguard of teaching Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills, helping colleagues to integrate new technologies into classrooms and guiding our students toward becoming digitally literate citizens.  The wonderful teacher-librarians I've worked with (shout out to Joanne and Katherine!) were always so generous with their time and effort to help those of us lacking a technological skillset.  Because I lacked confidence with my technological prowess, when I became interested in using infographics as a way to demonstrate students' knowledge rather than the traditional research paper or poster presentation, they helped me to create lessons on the skills needed to create infographics, including researching, citing, summarizing and using infographic websites that allows one to design an original infographic. Working with my school's teacher-librari