Skip to main content

The final frontier: Engaging and useful professional development - LIBE477 Reflection on meeting the ICT needs of teachers

To boldly go where no educator has gone before.
Image from Know Your Meme

Teacher-librarians have always been the vanguard of teaching Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills, helping colleagues to integrate new technologies into classrooms and guiding our students toward becoming digitally literate citizens.  The wonderful teacher-librarians I've worked with (shout out to Joanne and Katherine!) were always so generous with their time and effort to help those of us lacking a technological skillset.  Because I lacked confidence with my technological prowess, when I became interested in using infographics as a way to demonstrate students' knowledge rather than the traditional research paper or poster presentation, they helped me to create lessons on the skills needed to create infographics, including researching, citing, summarizing and using infographic websites that allows one to design an original infographic.

Working with my school's teacher-librarians while developing the infographic lessons was like being coached.  They were beside me every step of the way making suggestions for activities and resources, helping me to fine-tune the approach.  Where I had originally wanted to create a list of credible websites, they gently suggested having students evaluate credibility of sources as a part of the assignment.  Where I had originally envisioned photocopying a chart where they would list their sources, they helpfully directed me toward online citation tools. With their ICT expertise, they were able to guide me and show me the best technology resources for the skills I wanted my students to develop.

What made this professional development experience so useful was the one-to-one help they were able to provide.  As the Edutopia article "The Importance of Choice of PD" points out, face-to-face instructional meetings are so useful because "effective instructional coaching is all about differentiating support for the variety of needs of teachers."  Personalized or differentiated professional development is essential to keeping professional learning meaningful and useful.  We all have experienced mandated professional development sessions that was not high quality.
Image from Pinterest

But, whole group professional development doesn't have to be disengaging. While it's not a secret that Professional Development sessions can fall short of expectations, there were definitely times when presenters have offered wisdom that changed my teaching practice for the better. In my experience, the best professional development came from presenters who were fellow teachers simply sharing ideas or resources that worked in their own classrooms, and who presented it in a way that I could see how I could use immediately in the classroom.  Some of my best professional learning happened during brief lunch hour meetings. Similar to the "Lunch and Learn"  or Edcamps recommended in the Edutopia article, my former English department would occasionally get together and share ideas, lessons and resources and these informal sessions were invaluable for how they positively impacted my teaching practice.

In addition to providing one-to-one "instructional coaching" and larger group professional development sessions, I feel that teacher-librarians should continue to curate a "professional collection" of print resources for staff members, as that is how I first discovered the excellent resources for teaching reading from Kelly Gallagher and fabulous lessons on writing from Nancy Atwell.  However, it is also important to recognize that there are also many online resources that are valuable for professional learning.  As I've mentioned in previous blogposts, I've found that education blogs such as Mindshift and Cult of Pedagogy can be a source of inspiration and fresh ideas for improving one's teaching practice in many areas including digital skills.  It may take some more though, but perhaps establishing a teacher "book club" that meets (online or in real life) to discuss quality education blog posts.  Another idea might be to curate a collection of blogs or accounts to follow and share them with staff members via Twitter.

Whatever method teacher-librarians choose to share their knowledge and skills with teachers and students, it is important to make it personalized so that it is engaging, useful and meaningful.

Professional development that is engaging, useful and meaningful? Make it so.
Image from Reel Deal Film School

Wolpert-Gawron, Heather. "The Importance of Choice in PD." Edutopia, October 30, 2018. https://www.edutopia.org/article/importance-choice-pd

Comments

  1. I think it is very important to make PD personalized. If teachers are giving the chance to choose what they want to do this will make PD so much better. I have been in schools where PD is just everyone listening to a lecture about a certain topic. Sometimes it would relate to me and sometimes it wouldn't which made it hard to concentrate. When I was working up north, they strong support teacher growth and teachers get to pick what they do for PD. They also provide workshops and lectures for those who can't find something they want to learn but it is great for those who have a something in mind they want to learn more about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post. It is an engaging read filled with strong ideas and resource links. I appreciate how your personal experience has shaped your ideas around professional development. I agree that personalization and choice are key. I also agree about the importance of meaningful takeaways that can be embedded immediately into practice. Your idea for a teacher book club which focuses on blogs or twitter is very intriguing! I would love to be a part of something like that! I encourage you to tweet out a link to this post. These ideas are worth sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Knew It All Along... Didn't I?- LIBE 477B Reflection on Past Teacher-Librarian Topics

A partner was cheating. A comeback to win the last period in a hockey game. Trump shockingly wins the presidency. Each situation may be unique, but we have often heard ourselves say, "I knew it all along." The tendency to feel like we knew it all along, though we actually didn't, is what psychologists refer to as hindsight bias. http://neologisms.blogs.wm.edu/2016/04/18/hindsight-bias/ As an educator, I've experienced hindsight bias in believing that I was always aware of important issues in education.  "Of course, I've alway know it's important to incorporate more technology and help students develop necessary digital skills." "Obviously, blogging encourages deeper reflection and allows for an authentic audience for writing." "Naturally, I know how to design effective and engaging professional development opportunities." I could say that I was aware of these issues all along as they seem so obvious now, but they weren't

Blog love- LIBE 477B Reflection on supporting my professional learning

The assignments and discussions in this course have already been an invaluable resource for me; I've gained some valuable technology skills that I can use in my classroom/library, and I've gained some valuable insight reading the discussion posts and blog posts of my co-learners in this class. Fellow educators in this class have made important points in blogposts and discussion board comments that I didn't previously consider regarding technology and digital literacy, including concerns about student privacy and the dangers of being "too connected."   Image from https://ncccelearning.com/learning-modules/using-blogs-to-support-your-instruction/ Thanks to the tutorial on using Feedly , I'll be able to continue to follow education blogs of interest.  When I first began reading education blogs, I used Google Reader; when that service was discontinued I began to use Flipboard to keep up with favourite news sites and blogs. While l really like Flipboar